Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Try New Way!

I went to my cousin's house yesterday to celebrate moon cake festival. I saw his wife was scolding one of her 7 years old girl because of not doing homework in the morning and stopped her from joining in the fun. The child was upstairs all the time until we left. Besides, a lot of shouting at her second boy because of monkeying around. Yes, he is very active and naughty but I think the way of stopping all this by punishment or scolding doesn't work.

I am not an expert in parenting but I like to share some good points that I got from books. I shared with her only with new teaching methods we can improve the relationship with our children today, to make them more cooperative at the same time to develop their potentials and talents.

One point I learn is that the way of punishment or threatening in exchange of good behaviour doesn't work well in new generation today especially the children now has stronger will and has better comprehend about freedom and own right . They will become more rebellious if we force them, punish them or threaten them. I don't know but it doesn't seems right when apply to Li Ya.

Think about it, sometimes we still adopt the old teaching style is not because it is effective but it is because we don't have new input of any new methods. As a modern mother, we need to equip our self with more knowledge so that you can guard your children in right path. I believe the most effective way is to show example to your children, children learn what they see. Therefore, parents need to ensure we our self have right and positive values and behaviours. Don't you know that it is true when people say like mother like daughter, children reaction is just the image reflection of their parents.

If you see the method you apply to your children cannot control them anymore, it is time to change. Look for something new, share with your friends, I am sure you can go through all this hassle. Build you children on good foundation and you will enjoy the fruitful and joyful family life in future.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read a similar article just earlier this week. It is better to communicate and set expectations up front so that the kid will behave. Eg, in your cousin's case, she should have reminder her kid to finish homework earlier in the day so that she can enjoy the lantern party. Perhaps she can start the reminder earlier in the day to drill the message in....
Anyway, that's what i learnt fr the article...

Sammi said...

Yes, let's us share with each other from time to time.