Thursday, September 13, 2007

Don't Let TV Become Your Babysitter

I read an article recently, I think a lot of us know that TV need not be bad, in fact if you use it wisely, it can be a very powerful and good tool for educational purpose. However, if you over use it and don't control it properly, it may exploit your child's concentration and gradually it will disable their ability in what they do. Concentration and focusing is just too important for a child to learn new thing or develop some skills.
Do you know that for those over 2 years old, do not let them viewing TV more that two hours a day, while for those under two are totally banned. I followed this practise while Li Ya was young, she is 5 years old now and she has a very good concentration.
I know it is not easy being a working parent especially weekend seems to be the most busy days for us so usually what I heard from lots of mothers said they will just let them watching TV. If you really do so, please be careful and remember the following tips:
  • Set a timing and monitor if your child has kept to the schedule;
  • The best way I can think of based on experience is to buy some educational videos so that you can schedule their viewing time more flexible. It is also to avoid them from sticking in front of the TV just because they want to wait the program to be appeared on screen;
  • If they are just over 2 years old, start from a short movies that last about 30 minutes. I think when Li Ya was about 4 only I let her watched the long hour cartons like the princess movies that usually last for 1-1/2 hrs;
  • Some suggest after their viewing time, let them do some activities or exercise or bring them to park so that they can physically move their body after long hour of sitting;
  • Be careful of what you select for them, the principal is that they shall be able to learn something out of what they watched, not all the cartons are worth to see it.
  • Spend little time with your loved one so that you can use the opportunity to educate them and implant some good value. To them, nothing is better than parent's accompany. Li Ya can actually read on her own now but she is more enjoying when I read her story.

If there is other choice, try to avoid as much as possible of viewing TV. Instead, bring them to nature to see tree waving and animals life; Making more activities for them such as art works, singing time, picnics, games etc. Make it more fun than sitting in front of TV, in fact I believe children should have more time for exploration and interaction.

I know it is not easy as I mentioned, we will just do our best to guide and to protect our loved one. Sometime sacrifices are necessary but they worth us to do it because LOVE IS JUST TOO BEAUTIFUL.......

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My son watches a lot of TV at my mom's place...mostly children educational videos, but very little tv when he is home with me.

Sammi said...

We will just try out best to protect and guide them.